I use Basic Cake recipe found in Her World Magazine in the 80's. I baked these cupcakes for my dd's playgroup graduation party in 2003.
180g butter (softened)
3 eggs (60g each, at room temperature)
180g castor sugar
180 self-raising flour (shifted)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Cream butter and sugar until mixture is light & fluffy. (can use electric mixer)
2. Add eggs one at a time and continue mixing.
3. Add additional ingredients, vanilla essence and using wooden spoon and stir lightly.
4. Add flour bit by bit.
5. Give a quick stir to make the batter smoother.
6. Pour into small paper cups at 3/4 full. Place all cupcakes on a cupcake tray.
7. Bake in preheat oven at 180 deg C for about15-20 minutes.
8. The cake is done when you insert a toothpick or skewer into the mixture & it comes out clean.