Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chicken Pie

When I pass-by "Polar" bakery shop, I will stop by and buy a few Special Pies and Chicken Pies. I never thought of making a Chicken Pie myself as it's so easy to get it in most shopping malls.

I've kept this recipe in my recipe collection (shared by bakingmum) for many years and have read many good reviews about Lee Lee's Chicken pie recipe.

Today I bake this pie for lunch and my children simply love it and wanted more.
Lee Lee, Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with us.
The filling is so tasty and delicious!

I post the recipe here for your convenience.
bg_iconChicken Pie

Pastry ingredients:
200g butter
250g plain flour
110g plain yoghurt
1 tsp sugar
1 egg yolk
A pinch of salt

Method:
Put all the ingredients into the mixing bowl except yoghurt, and mix to a crumble. Add in yoghurt and mix to a dough. Dough will be very soft so need to keep it refrigerated for at least 30 mins.

Filling ingredients:
350g (12 oz) potatoes, diced (I use 1 big potato, 300g)
1 big onion, diced
50g mixed vegetable (or more if you like)
Sliced canned mushrooms (amount up to you) ~ I use 1 can
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 tbsp corn starch or potato starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar (I use 2 tsp)
2 tsp salt (I use 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp pepper (I use black pepper)

Method:
Heat about 2 table spoon of oil and fry potatoes with about 125ml (4 fl oz) of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook until soft. Drain and set aside. In a clean wok, heat 2 tablespoon of oil. Fry the diced onion until transparent. Add mixed vegetable, mushroom and chicken. Fry for a while to break up chicken. Add in potatoes. Add in about 125ml (4 fl oz) of water and cook for abt 5 mins. Add in salt, sugar and pepper. Add in the cornstarch and stir to thicken mixture. Set aside for later use.

The steps for the chicken pie will be as per normal. You can either do big pie or mini pie. Just need to roll out the dough, cut the size required and place in a pie dish. Poke hole on the base using a fork and place ingredients on top. Cut another piece of dough to cover the top. Poke a few more times using fork on the cover of the pie and brush with 1 beaten egg.

Baked in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 30 minutes.

Optional: You can add hardboiled eggs if you like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, you have a beautiful pie!May i know what's the size of your pie dish?

jthorge said...

Hi,
I'm using Pyrex Deep Pie Dish, 9 inch DIA. 1 litre.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for giving me the size of your pie dish-i made it into 6 muffin size pies instead and my nephews and niece loved them!The dough was quite soft and must really work fast when doing 6 pies. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

your pie looks delicious. I also kept a copy of baking mum's chicken pie in my hard drive but never attempted it. Looks like this weekend, I am gonna be busy learning this plus your pancakes!

Cheers!